Frequently Asked Questions
Solo (Autocross) Frequently Asked Questions

Solo is the SCCA brand name for autocross competition. Solo events are driving skill contests that emphasize the driver's ability and the car's handling characteristics. This is accomplished by driving a course that is designated by traffic cones on a low hazard location, such as a parking lot or inactive airstrip.

What kind of car do I have to have to be able to solo?

Just about any car in good mechanical condition is eligible for SCCA® Solo® events. Anything from a Chevrolet Corvette to a Toyota Camry is allowed to run in Solo. As long as your car passes tech (safety) inspection and is not on the exclusion list or prone to rollover (mostly SUVs) then your vehicle is probably available to run. 

Can I just come to an event and watch? Is there a fee to pay to watch?

Yes, you can come out and just watch an event. You will be required to sign a waiver sheet for insurance policy as a guest. There is no fee however to come out and be a spectator.

What class is my car in?

SCCA® Solo® has many categories divided into classes for vehicles. Those categories include:

Sreet – This category includes mass-produced, common vehicles that may be “daily drivers” (cars used for normal, everyday driving). Street Category cars compete in their “factory” configuration with a minimal number of allowances (not requirements).

Street R – This category is identical to Street but with allowances for DOT Race Compound Tires.

Street Touring® – This class is a fairly new class and is geared towards cars with common bolt-on modifications. Things like cold-air intakes, headers, lowering springs, etc. This is the only category that does not allow DOT competition R-compound tires – only high performance tires with a UTQG treadwear rating of 140 or higher are allowed (found on the tire sidewall).

Street Prepared – This is the original Solo® “street” class, sometimes called a “bolt-on” class. Any fuel and ignition system is allowed along with any suspension springs and shocks/struts as long as they are fitted into their original location. Things like turbo/superchargers must remain the same. There is no limit on wheel size or DOT tire sizes.

Street Modified – This is the top tier of the “street” classes. This class allows engine swaps as long as the engine is made by the same manufacturer as the car. You may also add turbo/superchargers, camshaft upgrades, and any suspension upgrades as long as it uses the factory attachment points.

Prepared – This class is generally for non-streetable cars. Things like gutted interiors and racing slicks are a big give away. Most things are allowed in this class and is relied on weight more than anything.

Modified – They are usually special built competition vehicles and most of them resemble an open-wheel Indy car or a closed-wheel LeMans sports racer. DM and EM cars may have started life on the streets, but just about any engine, drivetrain, or suspension is permitted. Supercharged rotary engines and V-8 engines are seen in 1700-pound EM machines and powerful 4-cylinders are common in 1300-pound DM lightweights.

Do I need special competition tires?

No. To run at an event, all that is required for tires is that they be in good condition, with no cord or belts showing or cracks in the sidewall. Tires must have a measurable tread depth. 

I don’t want to change tires/wheels at events and only have a few mods, so why am I in a “fast” class?

For local SCCA Solo events, section 1.1 of the SCCA National Solo Rules states, “Vehicle classifications are not mandatory. Regions should use classing structures which are best for the development of their programs.” The Solo Rules classing is only mandatory for Divisional and National Solo Events. If you speak with the local Solo officials, they may have (or can create) a Performance or “Street” Tire class. They may even allow you to run in a different class based on your experience level.

What do I need to bring with me to an event?

To run you need a valid driver’s license and an appropriate helmet. However, many regions have a few loaner helmets at events so you don’t necessarily have to go out and buy a new helmet. Check with your region first. Some other things that are recommended are a tire pressure gauge, appropriate clothes, sun block, plenty of water, etc. and your will to have fun. 

What kind of helmet do I need?

You need a helmet that is Snell Foundation Standard, SFI Standard or British Standard. The certification label may be found inside the helmet. The current (2015) acceptable standards can be found in the SCCA Required Helmet Certification Decals PDF.

Who do I need to contact to voice my opinion?

Feel free to contact CKRSCCA any time at or use the contact form on the bottom of this website.

We also provide contact information for our board members and chairs on our Club Officers page.

What time should I arrive at the site?

In general 8AM is a good time for newcomers to show up.  You can see a detailed schedule of the days events in our Solo Itinerary.